12.03.2008

First day in London Town




So I departed LAX at 6pm on Dec. 2 with a most wonderful send-off and arrived in London Heathrow at 11:30 Dec. 3. A serious red-eye on Virgin Atlantic. The plane was less than half full. Thankfully I could stretch out across 4 seats for some sweet slumber after a complimentary bloody Mary, a decent dinner, and a stupid movie. (Avoid 'The Happening' if at all possible.) I managed to sleep despite turbulence throughout most the flight. A first for me, as even the slightest bump would usually have me cringing. Upon arriving I quickly passed through immigration and customs and found my way to the Underground/Tube. Exchanged some currency and purchased an all day pass. A half hour ride later and I'm at this great YHA hostel. Pub and grub on-site, free 24 hour wireless internet with purchase of a fine English ale, good service, decent accommodations, what more could I ask for. The weather is good. Its a chilling 0 degrees Celsius even though the sun is out. I'm heading out to Bricklane for some curry and a visit to the legendary Rough Trade record store if only to salivate over the rarities I heard can be found there. I almost can't believe I'm here.... finally, after years of talk and desire. Tomorrow I'll visit the Tate Modern for a Mark Rothko retrospective, then meet the band at their gig at the Victoria. Let the exploring begin.

No comments: